Today, I went to the GetDeb website just because I wanted to download the latest Filezilla FTP application for my Ubuntu 9.10, and I was really surprised that now they have a very great website and also their own Repository. Before it was so difficult to access this website, even couldn’t see anything, I thought just because it is so famous among websites for very huge Ubuntu fans, and now they change to the new server and also technical supports. Thank GetDeb people so much for their efforts to bring a lot of benefits to Ubuntu fans. In here, you can easily find some famous applications such that Pidgin, Filezilla, …
As you know that, there are 2 ways to install a package: compile from the source or install from Ubuntu repositories. So GetDeb people just compile every new sources into ready install .deb files, so everyone can just download them and install. Therefore, it take just little time for everyone.
There are 2 ways you can download packages from GetDeb website:
- Go directly to GetDeb and download the latest .deb files and install manually but you will not know whenever there is a update package without always checking this website.
- Install GetDeb repository. This post almost covers the second method.
Use the following instructions:
- Install the getdeb package.
- Or configure the repository manually:Go to System-Administration-Software Sources, Third-Party Software tab, Add:
deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu karmic-getdeb apps
- Add the repository GPG key, open a terminal window and type:
wget -q -O- http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
- Click the “Install this now” button below the screenshot of the desired application.
Have fun with your always update packages.